Monday, November 7, 2005

IEPs for Every Student

So my student teaching application got declined from Preston Jr. High School. It's a bummer, but I'm attributing it to my good looks: I was just too handsome.

I did write a fairly lame philosophy of teaching, in one part saying that every student should have an IEP (Individualized Education Plan).

I hope this wasn't interpreted in the wrong way. I'm just saying that every student should have a chance to tell everyone what works best for him/her, and if he/she doesn't know, then the parents, coaches, friends, and other teachers can be there.

I think I got this idea from Terry Deniston, who I think suggested this very thing.

The time such as process would take, even if informally set up by the teacher, is enormous. But wouldn't that be cool, if every student could have some things that work out well for them implimented in the classroom. Some teachers already do it informally, but why not put it on paper so all the students' teachers can access it? Something to think about.

1 comment:

  1. Ben,

    I like the idea of IEP's for every student -- sounds really time consuming and really worthwhile. Still need a place to student teach?

    ReplyDelete